Medical Conditions in School
Designated Member of Staff: Lindsay Davies/Sarah Paling
Designated Governor: Neil Robinson
Cotgave Candleby Lane School is an inclusive community that aims to support and welcome pupils with medical conditions. We aim to provide all pupils with all medical conditions the same opportunities as others at school and achieve this by ensuring that:
- All Cotgave Candleby Lane School (CCLS) staff understand their duty of care to children and young people (See CCLS Emergency Procedures document) in the event of an emergency.
- All staff feel confident in knowing what to do in an emergency. (See CCLS Emergency Procedures document)
- The school understands that certain medical conditions are serious and can be potentially life threatening, particularly if ill managed or misunderstood.
- The school understands the importance of medication being taken as prescribed.
- All staff understand the common medical conditions that affect children at this school.
- This school allows adequate time for staff to receive training on the impact medical conditions can have on pupils.
- Staff receive additional training about any children they may be working with who have complex health needs supported by an Individual Health Plan.
- This school understands that it has a responsibility to make the school welcoming and supportive to pupils with medical conditions who currently attend and to those who may enrol in the future.
- Pupils with medical conditions are encouraged to take control of their condition.
- This school aims to include all pupils with medical conditions in all school activities.
- Parents/carers of pupils with medical conditions are aware of the care their children receive at this school.
- This school ensures all staff understand their duty of care to children and young people in the event of an emergency.
- All staff have access to information about what to do in an emergency.
- This school understands that certain medical conditions are serious and can be potentially life-threatening, particularly if ill managed or misunderstood.
- All staff have an understanding of the common medical conditions that may affect children at this school. Staff receive regular updates. The Headteacher is responsible for ensuring staff receive regular updates.
- The medical conditions policy is understood and followed by the whole school.